This short and sweet blog post is on a subject near and dear to me: grammar. I am a stickler for proper grammar. As an English major and professional journalist for most of my life, I know other Grammar Gurus will understand when I say that social media posts make me cringe daily. I am always so distracted by careless misspellings and bad grammar to fully enjoy reading newspapers and online news sites as well.
When I met my now boyfriend of 3 years, it was grammar that got him that first reply. The first text he ever sent me was a paragraph of full sentences, proper grammar and spelling. There were no text abbreviations. I noticed immediately and thought it was so unusual, especially in a text from a man. I loved it! True story. He even uses proper punctuation in text messages. Good grammar can serve a purpose in all aspects of your life, even love.
Thank you “Weird Al” Yankovic for giving the grammar nerds everywhere an outlet for our frustrations. If you struggle with proper grammar, bookmark this link for a handy little guide and the bonus of a catchy tune to bop around to at your desk!
To all the men out there, I advise you take notes. Ladies, if you aren’t yet old enough to appreciate the traits I am about to explain, bookmark this page and come back when you are in your mid-thirties. It should hit you by then.
Mike Rowe is probably best known as the star of the hit TV show, “Dirty Jobs,” in which he traveled to all 50 states and completed 300 of the world’s “Dirtiest Jobs.” Unfortunately, he somehow ran out of dirty jobs, but has found a new place on TV with “Somebody’s Gotta Do It” on CNN, 10 p.m. Eastern, Sunday nights.
What makes Mike Rowe the perfect guy? It has a lot more to do with Mike Rowe off camera than it does with his on screen personality, although I adore that side of him too. Mike is also known as the narrative voice behind “Deadliest Catch,” “After the Catch” and many more. Mike wrote a great biography on his website if you want to enjoy learning more about his career as the “Dirtiest Man on TV.”
Now that you are up to speed on Mike Rowe’s resume, here’s my list of what makes him a fine representative of the “Perfect Guy.” These are not in any particular order because to me, they are all equally valuable qualities that we should strive for.
1. Mike Rowe is a “man’s man.” In his logged hours on “Dirty Jobs,” Mike has gotten down and dirty with the most disgusting and nauseating creatures, excrement and just about anything else you can think of. While most men are known to gag when changing the diapers of their own spawn, Mike Rowe would handle the task with ease. He’d be the dad that doesn’t run and hide from vomit, feces and the grossness of his children. Women, this is a rare and winning trait!
BONUS: He will be the guy who catches the mouse or spider for all of you ladies who stand on chairs squealing in fear. (Plus he’ll probably just relocate it instead of killing it.) While Mike doesn’t have any children of his own, he would be a great to have on hand during the infant and toddler stages of life for sure. A man who isn’t afraid to get his hands wet, dirty, smelly and well, you get the picture…that’s one you want by your side.
2. Mike Rowe is outspoken about his passion to keep our future generations working and learning trades. Again, he doesn’t have children of his own, but he cares about yours. He knows the importance of skilled workers and even started a foundation to help keep these trades alive and thriving. As Mike’s website states, “The Skill Gap is widening. The mikeroweWORKS Foundation started a campaign to challenge the absurd believe that a four-year degree is the only path to success. ” Mike auctions off various items of C.R.A.P. (Collectibles Rare And Precious) to raise money for scholarships and other programs funded by his non-profit. This guy is truly dedicated to passing down the traits that we love about him. He wants our kids to stop being afraid of getting dirty! He wants them to build, create, fix and make shit happen! Ladies, you all know that a man that can work hard, muscles flexing, is quite attractive. (This goes for women too…manual labor shows our hidden strengths!)
3. Mike Rowe is genuine and funny. This may be two of the most important traits in a man. You need a guy who is going to be honest, even if it isn’t what you want to hear (yet have tact). A guy who can make you laugh through it all is golden. Men love to see us happy, smiling and laughing because of them. A man who can make you laugh just by being himself is a gem!
4. Mike Rowe is humble. He loves his fans and appreciates the platform he has to share messages promoting his humanitarian efforts with lots of laughs along the way. He uses his powers for good and does it with ease. He doesn’t take himself too seriously most of the time and he answers his fans personally. He doesn’t avoid any feedback, good or bad, and addresses them all with a style that this writer truly appreciates. Mike is the author behind all of his own social media posts from his blog to his Facebook page. His Facebook page is one of the best reads on the internet, without a doubt. He may have shown up to the scene a little bit later than most of us, but he’s more than made up for it!
5. Mike Rowe is not afraid of politicians and big corporate interests. He’s also not oblivious to them. This may be an extension of the last reason, but still another reason to love Mike Rowe. A man who not only stands up for what he believes in but goes to battle for it is one you want in your corner.
6. Mike Rowe is a gentleman. Have you ever seen a tabloid story about him behaving otherwise? No? That’s because he is. He’s lighthearted about it but he makes it clear to his fans about what he will and will not tolerate on his social media pages. I’m pretty sure his parents are proud!
7. Mike Rowe cleans up nicely! Sure, you want a guy who isn’t afraid to get dirty but it’s nice that he’ll clean up for a night out with you too. It’s always fun to enjoy your guy all dressed up and out on the town with you on his arm!
8. Mike Rowe loves his parents and allows the rest of the world to adore them too. Seriously, they are adorable! How could any woman not want these two as their in-laws? I am writing my plea of adoption as we speak. You never can have too many amusing and fun parental guides in your life. I am lucky to have quite a few beyond the ones in my bloodline who give me a lot of material for future posts. I love how much entertainment and joy they exude and how Mike brings them along for the ride of his unique career. They deserve every second of admiration! Yes, those are his parents in the commercial spots for his current show as seen in the clip above. Love!! For the record, the commercial spots are re-creations of actual conversations Mike had with his parents leading up to the new show. You can see where he gets his sense of humor from! The way a man treats his parents (especially his Mom) says a lot about how he’ll treat you.
9. Mike Rowe loves the little dogs too. He’s an animal lover. But there is something adorable about a big guy who adopts a little lap dog and isn’t afraid to share his love for his pooch with the world. Perhaps the most golden posts on Mike’s Facebook page occur at the end of every work week when readers check in to read “Fridays with Freddy.” Mike turns the page over to his spunky little roommate and what comes after is always delightful. His willingness to take a back seat as Freddy’s “Biped” and hand over the spotlight is endearing. Freddy has become a celebrity in his own right as obvious by the fans who call his name when he’s out with his biped. A big, strong tough guy who melts for his little dog is just…well, perfect.
10. Mike Rowe represents the everyday guy we know and love. We all know that guy we can rely on to be there for many reasons, whether it’s to fix something we broke or help us through a heart break, he’s the good guy we are thankful to have in our lives.
If you have a man in your life like Mike Rowe, you’re a lucky gal. I am proud to say I have a Dad who has influenced this list and made it immediately clear to me why Mike Rowe is the type of guy ladies should appreciate. I also have a great guy who makes me swoon with every dirty job he tackles around my house for me and with me. So ladies, I encourage you to not settle, encourage your kids to learn some life skills and don’t be afraid to get a little dirty too! Men, if you are a hard working hands on guy, thank you! Share your talents with your kids. Someday, they will appreciate it!
If you enjoyed my list, please feel free to share. Most importantly, I ask that you all check out The mikeroweWORKS Foundation and see what you can do to help get involved. In all seriousness, he’s doing great things for our kids and the future of our skilled trades.
Hopefully someday I’ll get to interview Mike for this blog and ask him about all the traits in this list as well as his amazing foundation!
Today is National Poetry Day! My very first literary accomplishment was a completed poem at age 5. I fell in love with the rhymes and verses that I could create out of words! I have binders full of my poetry and it has always been my first love as a writer. I spent my entire childhood crafting words into poetry and song to express myself. Today is in celebration of all the poetry, in every format, ever written or still to be written!
National Poetry Day is coordinated by the Forward Arts Foundation, a charity that celebrates poetry and promotes it as part of everyday life. National Poetry Day was founded in 1994 by William Sieghart and has engaged millions of people across the UK and countries around the world in reading, writing and listening to poetry. Can poetry change your life? Get creative and find out! William Sieghart explains here.
Your creative outlet should have no limits! The themes are not set as the true intention of this day is to bring recognition to a beautiful literary art form, poetry. Today can be filled with inspiration! While this holiday originated as a British campaign to promote poetry, it is celebrated internationally and this year marks the 21st annual National Poetry Day.
People all over the world are sharing their poetry and performing it as well in short videos! You’re invited to do the same here if you like! Post yours in the comments and join me in celebrating!
I will share a few of my favorites that I wrote during some of my most inspirational years of creativity…high school. They are typed up from my collection so I snapped a picture here for you to enjoy and feel free to share on your various social media sites!
Our country and world is in crisis. Just take a look at the current news stories. A serious problem facing us today starts with the inability to navigate the news and decipher fact from fiction. As a life long writer, journalist and news reporter, I have always taken seriously the responsibility that comes with this profession. Once called “journalistic integrity,” that code of ethics, the standard of our profession, has become almost non-existent in today’s mainstream media. “Journalists” are not what they once were and we have more “reality TV” style news-casting than true news reporting. 24 hour hour news is now a ratings race instead of an unbiased relaying of events.
Throughout the topics I will cover here, I plan to help you find your way through all the bullshit that is fed to you as truth and newsworthy so you can push it aside and focus on the real issues facing our nation and world. I’ll warn you, it’s not usually pretty when you finally push below the surface but it’s necessary if you want to be more aware of what is really going on. The world as you know it is not at all as black and white, right or left, day or night as you are led to believe.
If you are already someone who takes the time to research and question everything you are told, then I applaud your willingness to be more consciously aware. It’s not an overnight revolution and everyone who has taken this path knows it takes an open mind and strong convictions. The man behind the curtain is not always who you’d think and you can not always ignore the truths in front of you, no matter how hard you may try.
I’ve watched the evolution of journalism and it’s really more like a destruction. It has morphed into an entirely new breed of journalists who no longer tell the story, but instead craft the story, even star in the story and way too often, involve themselves in the event to fuel the story where it really never existed.
You’ll see once you are willing to really take a look. We’ll soon trace the ownership and political affiliations of the mainstream media outlets you have been relying on to report the truth without bias, starting on the ground floor of this multilevel tower of deception.
Welcome to my blog! I’m so excited to share it with you! With everything going on around the world today and all of the ideas constantly swirling in my head, I just could not decide what I wanted to tackle first! I thought I would go with something fun and lighthearted, maybe on the topic of relationships or parenting since I have plenty to share on both. But I also spent the past few days digging deep into the current events of my tri-state area and around the world, including a very monumental Papal visit and UN meetings right next door in NY. Both have such a huge significance in world news along with the many happenings in the Middle East.
You will come to learn (if you do not know me already) that I have very strong viewpoints on all of those topics and many more. I do my homework and I share facts along with my opinions. I also encourage others to do the same. I welcome friendly, thought provoking, intelligent dialog and debates! I do not encourage or incite hate. I am passionate at times for sure (more often than not). I will guarantee you that I will use foul language often. I refer to assholes occasionally (sometimes more than occasionally) and I’ll have a lot to say about everything. My favorite curse word is probably Fuck. I’ll just get that out of the way now.
I also advocate a healthy fit lifestyle. I share advice for achieving your wellness goals in a safe and natural way. I work out and create recipes using real delicious and healthy food. I’ll even share those with you too! I love helping people! I’m known for it, it’s what I do.
So this blog is going to be an organized mishmash. An opinionated, fact filled digital set of encyclopedias of sorts. I’ll create topic categories so you can find my writings on whatever interests you. But I will always try to invite you to try something new and give all of my posts a chance. Try a taste of a topic you may never have before. You never know, you might like it!
I am a seasoned people-watcher, writer, poet, speaker, graphic designer, editor, mother, sister, woman, empath, LEO and so much more! So please add my new web presence to your regular internet browsing schedule and we can share some laughs, tears, screams and whatever else emotions the topics may invoke. I’m emotionally driven so that’s a guarantee.
Let’s do this! My first official post is just a little taste of what’s to come while I decide what to focus on first. I hope you’ll come back and find out.
Allow yourself the opportunity to be informed everyday and never stop learning. Read, be well read and give yourself every opportunity to seek the truth, share the truth and live in your truth. Life is a physical presence of opportunities yet to come, opportunities soon to pass and lessons stacked up along the way. ~ #JerseyGirlBlog.